Building & Fire Safety Division
All permits issued require an inspection during and/or at completion of the work. Scheduling inspections is the responsibility of the permittee. Depending on the type of project the following inspections are required:
- Foundation - to be made after trenches are excavated, forms erected and steel is in place.
- Underfloor - to be made after the installation of underfloor framing, heating ducts and plumbing. Underfloor Insulation - to be made after the floor insulation is installed but prior to installation of the subfloor.
- Roof Nail - to be made after installation and nailing of the roof sheathing.
- Frame - to be made after the roof, all framing, fire blocking, siding, lath and bracing are in place and all pipes, chimneys, vents, rough electrical and plumbing are installed.
- Insulation - to be made after the wall and ceiling insulation is installed.
- Drywall Nail - to be made after the drywall is installed and prior to tape or texture.
- Final - to be made after finish grading and the building is completed and ready for occupancy.
Obviously, not all of the inspections listed above will apply to every job. If it is uncertain which inspections pertain, please check with the Building Division Office.
When To Call For An Inspection
The inspection request recorder is available on a 24-hour basis. Requests received before 3 p.m. (M-Th) will be scheduled for the following business day (M-Th) and all calls received after 3 p.m. (M-Th) will be scheduled 2 days later. You may request either an AM or PM inspection for Monday - Thursday. AM inspections are made between 7:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., and PM inspections are between 12:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Limited Friday building inspections will be available only if they are scheduled in person at the Building Division business counter by noon on the preceding Thursday. Friday inspections will be scheduled on a first come/first served basis, will not be made for a specific time (AM or PM), and will cost an additional $60 per occurrence, payable at the time of scheduling. Subdivision developers will be charged a minimum of $240 for 4 hours inspection time and $90 per hour thereafter.
Inspection requests for M-Th may also be faxed using the Fax Inspection Request Form.
The approved plans and the inspection card that is issued should be on the job site and available to the inspector at the time of inspection.
707.428.7570 Inspection request recorder