Economic Development

Starting a Business in Fairfield 

Business Licenses

All businesses that operate within the City of Fairfield are required to obtain a business license. Businesses new to the city must visit the Community Development Department window on the second floor of Fairfield City Hall, fill out a business license application and pay the appropriate business license fee. For a list of license fees and business classifications, see page 2 of the business license application. If you have questions about business licenses, please contact the Economic Development division staff at 707.428.7462.

Download City of Fairfield Business License Application  

Business Licenses: Frequently Asked Questions

Home-Based Businesses

If you operate a business from your home, you must comply with City Ordinances and standards. Home-based businesses must be clearly incidental and accessory to the use of the residence as a home. Operators of home-based businesses must fill out a Home Occupation Application along with their business license form. The City charges a Home Occupation permit fee (read here for current fee) in addition to the business license fee and must be submitted with the application.      

Download the Home Occupation Requirements and Application

Locating Your Business

Before you sign a lease, purchase a commercial building, or begin operating a business from your home, check in with the Fairfield Community Development Department to make sure that your business is a permitted use for that property. To talk to a planner about the zoning regulations of your planned business site, call 707.428.7461. They’ll explain where you can locate your type of business and what special requirements, including Conditional Use Permits, that might apply. 

Seller's Permit

You must obtain a seller's permit if you:

  •  Are engaged in business in California
  • Intend to sell or lease tangible personal property that would ordinarily be subject to sales tax if sold at retail
  • Will make sales for a temporary period, normally lasting no longer than 30 days at one or more locations (e.g. fireworks booth, Christmas tree lots, garage sale).

Both wholesalers and retailers must apply for a seller's permit. For more information, please call the State Department of Tax and Fee Administration at their local office in Fairfield at 707.427-4800. This office is located at 2480 Hilborn Road, Suite 200, Fairfield, CA 94534. 

Federal and State Identification Numbers

If you employ workers in your business, you must have a State Identification Number and a Federal Employer Identification Number to report employee taxes. For more information, contact the California Employment Development Department at 1-888-745-3886.  There is a local office at 316 Marin Street in Vallejo, CA.  For the federal number, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800.829.3676.

Fictitious Names

If you plan to use a fictitious business name (a name different from your own), you need to check with the Solano County Clerk to make sure that no one else is using that name. You can contact the County Clerk at 707.784.7485, 675 Texas Street, Suite 1900, Fairfield, CA 94533.

Other local organizations which provide advice and/or assistance to businesses in the area include:

Fairfield-Suisun Chamber of Commerce
1111 Webster Street
Fairfield, CA 94533
Solano County Small Business Development Center
4000 Suisun Valley Road
Fairfield, CA 94534

Solano Economic Development Corporation (Solano EDC)
360 Campus Lane #102
Fairfield, CA 94534