Fairfield / Vacaville Train Station and Peabody Road Improvements
Subscribe to this page to receive e-mail notification when new information is posted.
The City of Fairfield has entered into an agreement with CC Myers and Teichert Construction for the construction of the Fairfield / Vacaville Train Station and Peabody Road Improvements. Improvements to Peabody Road include widening the road from 2-lanes to 6-lanes and constructing an overpass over the existing railroad tracks. The project is located at the corner of Peabody Road and Vanden Road in Fairfield, CA. Estimated construction duration is two years.
Starting June 12, 2015, a complete closure of Peabody Road, between Vanden Road and Huntington Drive, will be in place and will last until August 2016. The City, through extensive outreach in the community, determined that even a partial road closure would still generate substantial traffic congestion on Peabody Road and the nearby streets, and by implementing a full closure, the City would reduce the length of disruption to the community by as much as 18 to 24 months, would impact only one school year rather than several, and save $3-5 million on the project.
Current Construction Status (Updated April 17, 2017)
Current Construction Status (Updated August 10, 2016)
Construction Aerial Images (Updated August 10, 2016)
- August 4, 2016 - Reopen Peabody Road
- November/December 2017 - Construction is scheduled to be completed mid-October. The Contractor will be completing commissioning and testing of the communication and control systems thru early November. The new Train Station will be ready to be added to the Amtrak/Capital Corridor schedule shortly thereafter.
The Fairfield/Vacaville Train Station project is scheduled to be developed on City-owned property located at the southeast corner of Peabody Road and Vanden/Cement Hill Road. The train station will serve as a convenient stop for Fairfield and Vacaville residents using the Capitol Corridor. The Fairfield/Vacaville Train Station is a key component to the Fairfield Train Station Specific Plan, which promotes a pedestrian-oriented, multi-modal, and mixed-use community.
The Peabody Road overpass will be located between Vanden Road and Huntington Drive, and will allow for safe crossing over the Union Pacific Railroad tracks for automobiles, bicycles, and pedestrians. This will enhance public safety and relieve traffic congestion.
- Create a safe crossing on Peabody Road at railroad tracks
- Improve access to rail travel for Fairfield and Vacaville residents and visitors
- Begin development of a pedestrial-oriented, multi-modal, and mixed-use neighborhood
- Minimize length of disruption and traffic impacts to community during construction
The train station capital project consists of constructing several components, including:
- Peabody Road overpass
- Passenger platform
- Pedestrian/bicycle underpass
- Bus passenger plaza and transfer area
- Passenger amenities including well-lit and landscaped parking, video surveillance, bike lockers, automated electronic signs with train arrivals, and bus and train ticket machines
- Trackwork to accommodate the platform and improve freight access for the adjoining industrial park
Project Questions & Comments
Travis Unified School District